UPS Health Check
Direct UPS offer a UPS health check service.
UPS batteries are chemical energy storage devices that deteriorate over time. They have a design life based on optimum site conditions and an expected number of charge-discharge cycles. A five year design life battery will probably require replacement within year 4, and a ten year design life battery within year 7. Whilst many UPS and standby power systems automatically test their batteries, nothing beats a visual inspection and on-site testing.
Direct UPS UK testing and replacement service provides on-site testing to assess and report on the performance and suitability of the battery set. During testing we will check individual cell condition, total battery capacity and the remaining reliable operational life. This testing can be purchased as a one off service or part of our UPS Maintenance Plans.
1. Visual: check for a variety of conditions dependent on battery type:
- VRLA batteries - check for distortion caused by plate/pole growth, leakage or corrosion.
- Flooded cells - check for plate colour, sediment level, electrolyte level, leakage and corrosion.
- NiCads - check for leakage and corrosion.
2. Measurements: take DC float voltage measurements - string and individual cells.
3. Mechanical: clean all batteries, confirm the minimum torque on all connections, top up electrolytes where possible (not sealed lead acid batteries).
4. Electrical Tests: impedance test individual battery cells and strings, and load test the battery if necessary.
5. Environment Checks: check the suitability of the local environment in terms of ambient temperature and any noticeable humidity and other environmental matters.
Finally a site report is issued with recommendations for future system monitoring or battery replacement.
For more information about Direct UPS and our UPS Systems, please call sales on 01142 835 825 / 0800 009 6776.